Radiology and Information Technology
Department of radiology recognises the importance of information systems as the "bricks and mortar" which will hold the health care setup as a single entity in the future. With support of information systems department, new information technology applications are being introduced in a phase-wise manner. These applications are helping to enhance the quality of care, education and research.
- Picture Archiving and Communication Systems (PACS) are high-speed, graphical, computer network systems for the storage, retrieval, and display of radiological images. In AKUH main campus, general radiology (including IVP, fluoroscopy and mammography), CT, MRI,Nuclear Medicine,Ultrasound and VIR sections are now integrated with PACS. Daily 400+ imaging exam are being archived and distributed to wards and clinics through PACS web. In addition to image distribution within hospital, radiologists have the provision to access imaging studies form their home using high bandwidth internet connection.
- Radiology Information System (RIS), an in-house developed system, supports a volume of more than 218,000 per annum. RIS silent features include patient scheduling, billing, reports management, audit report, statistical reports and many more. Using HL7 interface, RIS is connected to PACS, CT, MRI, CR, VIR and Voice recognition system; thus creating a true integrated health care environment.
- Tele- radiology utilizes broadband technology to provide real time, high-speed access for the transfer of medical imaging, video, data and voice transmission. Department of radiology offers tele-radiology diagnostic services to French Medical Institute for Child health (FMIC) in Kabul . CT Scan & MRI images acquired at FMIC are transmitted to AKUH in Karachi through a dedicated 2.0 Mbps tele-link.
- Voice Recognition System (VRS) helps radiologist to convert voice dictation to text in real time and without assistance of transcribers. Department of Radiology's is using VRS to decrease report turnaround time and increase patient satisfaction with quality reporting. Interfaced with PACS and RIS (using HL7 communication standard), VRS is capable of managing reporting workflows according to clinical as well as teaching radiology environment.
- Radiology department is also using in-house developed informatics software for research and education. These modules include:
- Radiology report search engine(RSNA award winner )
- Online Library of Images
- Online radiology journals
- Teaching Jacket management system
- e-Learning Modules
- PACS based teaching folders
- Faculty feedback system
For further details regarding information technology in radiology department, please contact:
Manager Healthcare IT
Radiology Department. Aga Khan University Hospital , Karachi , Pakistan