Aga Khan University Hospital Clinical Laboratories is the national reference and offers a 700-test menu in the areas of Haematology, Clinical Chemistry, Microbiology, Histopathology, Molecular Pathology, Blood Bank and Transfusion Services. It is well equipped, highly automated, fully computerised and overseen by highly qualified faculty.The three-tier lab system comprises a tertiary lab, stat labs and phlebotomy stations.
The accuracy and precision of tests are maintained by a strict internal quality assurance programme which is reviewed by consultants and supervisors daily. The laboratory also participates in the external quality assurance programme of the College of American Pathologist (CAP).
A pathology newsletter is circulated each quarter to AKU faculty and referring physicians providing an update on new procedures and tests in the Clinical Laboratories.
The scope of the three-tier lab system comprises:
- 40 qualified and highly trained faculty and over 250 technologists
- Sophisticated and state of the art equipment including laboratory automation in Clinical Chemistry
- 204 phlebotomy stations in 92 cities and towns in Pakistan, 12 stat laboratory in 8 cities of Pakistan and a tertiary lab at the main campus in Karachi
- Processes specimens received from UAE, East Africa and Central Asia
- Performed over 7.9M tests in 2012