The diversified features of pharmacy services are made possible with the high-tech equipment, continuously updated medical/pharmaceutical literature, research, education and competent staff. This ranges from extemporaneously compounded medicines to very unique cytotoxic admixtures. Electronic data processing has become an important tool for providing pharmacy services to in-patient and ambulatory patients. It provides computerised unit dose drug distribution, chemo drug mixing and offers both centralised and decentralised approaches. For each order entered into the computer, the system provides pharmacists with warnings of therapeutic duplications, drug-drug interaction, and screening for allergies, contraindications and potentially sub-therapeutic or toxic doses.
Following are the services offered:
- Computerised Physician Order Entry (CPOE)
- Satellite pharmacies in Oncology, Critical Care, Paediatrics, Medicine,Surgery, Ob/Gyn, Psychiatry and Operating room
- e-Pharmacy services for non prescription drugs
- Sterile (Intravenous Admixtures, Parenteral Nutrition Cardioplegia, syringe filling etc.) and non-sterile compounding services
- Clinical pharmacy services (Point-of-Care Pharmacy and Drug and Poison Information Centre)
- Investigational drug service
- Ambulatory care and community pharmacy services
Pharmacy is committed to providing progressive patient care oriented pharmacy services which meet the challenges of an expanding institution and a growing community. AKUH formulary is a comprehensive compilation of drugs representing all therapeutic modalities. The formulary is approved by the Pharmacy and Therapeutic Committee of the Hospital, an apex body dealing with all issues related to prescribing, dispensing and monitoring of drugs.