There is reliable research evidence that health problems as well as individual and environmental risks contribute to complications during pregnancy, childbirth and after. Before trying for a baby there is an opportunity for you and your partner to improve your health. Our specialists will work with you to optimize your health before the pregnancy so as to avoid potential problems during pregnancy.
Some of the benefits of a preconception clinic are:
- Screening for genetic conditions
- Stabilizing pre-existing medical conditions, e.g. diabetes, high blood pressure etc.
- Reviewing medications you may be on for their safety in pregnancy
- Optimizing weight and general fitness before pregnancy
- Supporting lifestyle changes beneficial to good pregnancy outcome e.g. quitting smoking
- Starting folic acid and other required supplementation
- Discuss what to expect during the pregnancy journey